Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup. Transfer to the slow cooker insert. This black bean soup recipe is nicely flavored with garlic, a meaty ham bone, and spices. The soup starts with dried black beans, soaked and then simmered to perfection with a ham bone, chopped seasoning vegetables, and a variety of spices.
My Smoky Black Bean Ham Soup is thick and meaty and loaded with extras like fire roasted hatch chiles, diced tomatoes and jalapenos. Top this ham hock and beans recipe with all your favorites, like queso fresco, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. This ham bone bean soup recipe is perfect for cool days. You can have Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup
- Prepare 1 lb. of dried black beans.
- You need 3 tbs. of olive or vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 of green bell pepper, chopped.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- It’s 3 tbs. of tomato paste.
- You need 1 of smoked ham hock.
- You need 7 cups of vegetable stock.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of cumin.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of coriander.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of thyme.
- It’s Dash of paprika.
- Prepare 3 cups of cooked ham, cubed.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of dry sherry.
- Prepare Dash of salt and pepper.
Soup is one of my favorite things and I usually have it for lunch. Versatility is one of the reasons we love it. Leftover ham gives this soup an extra layer of flavor and makes it even heartier, but it makes a mouthwatering vegetarian version too. Add vinegar, roasted chicken base and salt and black pepper to taste.
Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup instructions
- Soak the black beans and prep according to the package direction. [For a quick soak, use the boiling water method.].
- In a large pot over medium heat, begin heating the oil and sauté the onions and bell pepper until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat them for 30 seconds..
- Add the tomato paste and mix all the ingredients well..
- Pour in the vegetable broth and then add the drained beans, ham hock and the bay leaf..
- Bring to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the cumin, coriander, thyme, and paprika. Partially cover the pot and cook for about 2 hours until the beans are tender..
- Remove the ham bone and shred off any meat. Set aside. Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes..
- Depending on desired consistency (smooth or chunky), you can puree the soup by using a handheld immersion blender or in batches with a blender..
- Add the cooked ham and shredded meat to the soup in the pot. Season with salt and pepper (to taste) and add the sherry. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat uncovered to heat through..
- Serve with toppings of choice such as sour cream or yogurt, green onions, chopped hard-boiled egg, etc. Serve with some crusty bread..
Even though canned black beans make this super easy, I like to put a cup of black beans in the crock pot in the morning. Add a bay leaf and let them cook on low all day. Pretty much as easy as getting out the can opener. Recipe for Easy Black Bean Soup with Sherry and Ham. I hope you give this easy black bean soup recipe a try.