Vidalia French Onion Soup. Usually French onion soup requires that you slowly cook onions for a long time to caramelize them and develop their sweetness. If you use Vidalia onions instead of regular onions though, you can speed up the cooking process by quite a bit. A classic french onion soup recipe absolutely must have caramelized onions.
The Secret to the Best French Onion Soup You'll Ever Taste Is Caramelized Vidalia Onions and a Hint of Sherry. View top rated Vidalia french onion soup recipes with ratings and reviews. French onion soup is one of my favorite soups, it's comforting and filling, perfect for lunch or dinner as a main with a salad, or serve it as a first course. You can cook Vidalia French Onion Soup using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vidalia French Onion Soup
- You need 1 1/2 pounds of Vidalia onion — sliced paper thin.
- Prepare 2 ounces of butter.
- Prepare 50 ounces of Beef stock- *(note be careful some store brands are very high in salt and as you cook it down it may get salty).
- It’s 4 ounces of dry sherry wine (*optional see note at bottom).
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of thyme.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- It’s 4 slices of toasted French bread slices or any bread you like:).
- It’s 4 slices of Swiss cheese.
- You need of Salt and pepper — to taste at the end of the cooking process.
Onions – Use Vidalia, red, or white onions in place of the yellow onions. Gluten-free – Make the soup gluten-free by subbing in gluten-free flour and. They taste like French onion soup, and smell great. In college I used to put it on the top of my gas stove!
Vidalia French Onion Soup step by step
- For french bread, slice 4 pieces a 1/2 inch thick brush with olive oil and place on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and delicious..
- In a 3 qt sauce pot/pan,Saute the onions in the butter over low to moderate heat. Carefully caramelize the onions thoroughly without burning..
- Deglaze the pan with 6 ounces (250 milliliters) of the beef stock. Cook until all the stock has gone and the browning continues..
- Repeat this process until the onions are a very dark, evenly brown.about three times. (* optional sherry wine add now).
- Add the remaining beef stock and thyme and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes to develop flavor. Adjust the seasonings..
- Serve in oven proof bowls. Fill the bowl 85% of the way. Top each portion with a slice of toasted French bread and a slice of Swiss cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and lightly browned..
- We are a high school so Sherry Wine is frowned upon:( This recipe comes out great without sherry. That being said adding 4 ounces of dry sherry just before you add the remaining stock does add some extra flavor.
Wow these definitely do taste just like french onion soup! I didn't use any butter and added a little garlic powder. We did these on the grill and they ended up a bit mushy. French Onion Soup Casserole is the perfect combination of a classic soup and an easy casserole recipe. This delicious French Onion Casserole is filled with caramelized onions, crunchy baguettes, and plenty of cheese.