Homestyle Roasted Game Hens. Great recipe for Homestyle Roasted Game Hens. Have made game hens this way as long as I can remember. Had a hankerin' for 'em tonight and thought it was time to share with y'all.
Also makes a great alternative to a turkey for a small group on Thanksgiving. If you haven't tried a cornish game hen, this easy Air Fryer Cornish Game Hens recipe is just what you need to cook these hens like a pro. Stuffed with orange, garlic, and fresh herbs, this recipe for roasted Cornish game hens will quickly become a family favorite. You can cook Homestyle Roasted Game Hens using 6 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homestyle Roasted Game Hens
- Prepare 4 of cornish game hens (1lb each).
- It’s 4 of celery ribs – cut into thirds.
- It’s 4 large of carrots – cut into thirds.
- You need 1 large of onion – quartered.
- It’s 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- It’s of salt, pepper and chicken seasoning (such as Lawry's brand chicken & poultry rub).
These golden Cornish hens, shown at right, are seasoned with basil, sage and thyme for plenty of flavor. They're simple to prepare yet make any occasion seem special. For a fast finish, serve corn bread stuffing and chunky cinnamon applesauce.or roasted cubed potatoes with pepper and carrots plus instant chocolate pudding for dessert. Getting crispy skin on a roast bird that spends an hour in the oven is challenging enough.
Homestyle Roasted Game Hens step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange game hens in a large roasting pan, truss if desired (tie leg ends together with kitchen twine and tuck wing tips behind backs)..
- Scatter prepared celery, carrot and onion evenly around game hens in pan. Drizzle olive oil over the top of everything. Rub it into the game hen skins to distribute evenly (wash your hands when done). Sprinkle a generous amount of salt, pepper and chicken seasoning evenly over everything in the pan..
- Tent pan with aluminum foil, sealing the edges tightly. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue baking uncovered for an additional 20 – 30 minutes, or until internal temp reaches at least 180°F. NOTE: Be sure not to hit bone when checking temp. The bone is hotter and throws off the reading..
- When done, remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes. Serve with sides of your choice and enjoy! We like to serve with the attached recipes and rolls, as well as my optional gravy, listed below. https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/362345-crockpot-ranch-mushrooms https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/340517-meow-mash-perterders.
- OPTIONAL: To make a gravy, if desired, transfer game hens and veggies to a plate, skim some of the fat off the juices in the roasting pan and pour into a small sauce pan (I have a special separating "pitcher" made by Oxo that is fabulous to separate the fat). Bring juices to a boil over medium high heat. Whisk together 1-2 tbs cornstarch and 2-3tbs cold water in a small bowl. Pour into juices while stirring. Turn heat down to medium and simmer till thickened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes..
Classic form and good looks are compulsory for a holiday centerpiece, but they don't matter if the dessert falls apart when you serve it. The Best Roasted Cornish Game Hens Recipe – delicious tender juicy cornish game hens packed with flavor. Perfect for a holiday dinner, keto and low carb diet friendly, and easy enough for even beginner cooks! Cornish Game Hens (or Cornish Chickens) make excellent holiday dinner food – they are gorgeous as a main course when served individually.. In a small mixing bowl, stir together salt, lemon pepper, dried basil and poultry seasoning.