Crawfish and Alligator Sauce Picaunte. Dredge the alligator pieces in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. In a large pot, melt butter and add Creole Base. Add tomato paste and mix well.
This is about as Cajun as you can get. I learned this recipe from family and local research and added my own flair to it. This same recipe can be used with shrimp or chicken. You can cook Crawfish and Alligator Sauce Picaunte using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Crawfish and Alligator Sauce Picaunte
- You need 1.5 cups of flour.
- You need .75 cups of cooking oil.
- Prepare 1 of diced onion.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chopped green onions.
- It’s 1 of alligator fillet – cubed.
- It’s 1 pkg of crawfish tails.
- It’s of chicken stock (added to thin out).
- It’s 2 cans of diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 can of crushed tomatoes.
- You need of ground black peppercorns (to taste).
- Prepare of garlic salt (to taste).
- Prepare of Cajun seasoning (to taste).
Season to taste with salt and peppers. Additional broth may be added if sauce becomes too thick. Saute onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic in oil. Add tomato sauce and whole tomatoes.
Crawfish and Alligator Sauce Picaunte instructions
- In a large iron skillet (or something comparable), combine your flour and oil art medium high heat to make a roux. The portion size that I have in the ingredients may be more than enough, because you will likely not use all of it and it's just used for thickening purposes. You may also use pre made roux from a jar..
- Once the roux is completed, remove from skillet and put aside. Re-oil skillet and heat to medium. Add cubed alligator and onions. Saute until onions have wilted and gator meat has turned white and tender. Do not overcook your gator..
- Add your canned tomatoes to the skillet and stir slowly. Then add crawfish..
- Add chicken stock – enough to make the mixture almost soup like. Stir roux to loosen and add to skillet to thicken. Add according to how thick you want your success picaunte to be one completed. Continue heating at medium..
- Add garlic salt, Cajun seasoning and black pepper to taste. Remove from heat after approximately 15-20 min, gently stirring constantly to ensure that it does not stick to bottom of skillet..
- Add parsley flakes to garnish and serve with rice..
Alligator meat and big bullfrogs work great in a sauce piquant, because the longer you cook it, the more concentrated the flavors get, and the more tender the meat becomes. Season the turtle meat with salt and red pepper. Marinate the turtle meat overnight in enough vinegar to cover the meat. What follows is a general sauce piquante recipe. This Cajun stew uses whatever meat or seafood is available.