Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil). Place a roasting rack on top. Though traditional Puerto Rican cuisine may favor fatty cuts of pork with the skin on, lean cuts like pork loin are just as delicious with the intense garlic rub in this recipe. Serve warm with red beans and rice.
It doesn't matter how you serve this roast pork recipe, just be sure to make a big batch! Great recipe for Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil). Done in the style of cuban pernil, this recipe takes a long time, but yields fantastic fall apart roast with loads of flavor. You can have Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil) using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil)
- You need 3-5 lbs of boneless pork shoulder.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 bunch of cilantro, minced.
- Prepare 1 of lime, wedged.
- It’s of Marinade.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of orange juice.
- You need 1/2 cup of lime juice.
- You need 15 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 Tbsp of cumin.
- You need 2 Tbsp of salt.
- You need 1 Tbsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cilantro (or parsley), chopped.
- Prepare 4 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need of More salt and pepper.
I recommend serving this with pinto beans simmered in ham stock and rosemary on the stove while this roasts in the oven. Different seasonings but I would never ever put sazón or adobo on my pernil. Too many additives and a fake orange color. I use garlic, oregano, salt , pepper and olive oil and the juice of a sour orange or the juice of a lemon and juice of half an orange.
Garlic Roast Pork (Pernil) step by step
- Combine all the marinade ingredient in a large ziplock bag (2.5 gallon) or bowl. Debone/deskin the shoulder if needed. Add it to the marinade and turn to coat. Marinate at least 1 hour in the fridge but overnight is better..
- Remove the roast, and truss with string. This keeps the roast together so it cuts and subsequently cooks better later. Salt the meat side of the roast again. This roast can take a decent amount of salt..
- Pre heat your oven to 400F. If you have a convection oven, now is the time to use it. In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and sear the pork skin side up in the dutch oven. Salt and pepper the top (fat side) and then immediately transfer the roast in the dutch oven to the oven and cook at 400F uncovered for 1 hour. After 1 hour, reduce the oven temp to 300F and cook an additional 4 hours (or until the roast is 195F).
- Remove the roast from the oven and marvel at that crust..
- Cover the roast with the lid, and let rest while you prepare sides. I recommend beans and yellow rice in the Cuban tradition..
Remove the pork from the marinade and scrape off the garlic and herbs; discard the marinade. Season the pork all over with salt and pepper and transfer to a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Mash garlic into paste in a mortar and pestle or pilon. Pernil is a slow cooked pork roast, usually a shoulder, butt or leg, that is very typically enjoyed during the holidays. It is a classic Puerto Rican dish, and also a classic dish in the Dominican Republic, though unsurprisingly there are small differences that mean a lot.