Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup). If you ask somebody what he knows about Hungary, the most common answer you've got is Goulash 🙂 Although we have several great Hungarian dishes. Learn to make authentic Hungarian Goulash Soup, here is the recipe. Authentic Hungarian goulash soup. is a beef dish cooked with onions, Hungarian paprika powder, tomatoes, and some green pepper.
This is a main meal soup – a soup for heroes. Don't be scared by the amount of paprika – it works, we promise you. The word "gulyás" means herdsman in Hungarian, and it has come to mean the rich soup that these cattle herders prepared. You can have Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup) using 24 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup)
- It’s 300-400 gr of quality beef (shoulder and/or rear end).
- It’s 150-200 gr of yellow or red onions.
- It’s 1-3 cloves of fresh garlic.
- You need 1-2 pc of dried bay leaf.
- You need 2-3 tsp of sweet paprika powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of hot paprika powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of caraway powder (or whole, crushed).
- Prepare 1 pc of ripe medium sized tomato.
- Prepare 1 pc of red bell pepper, or other colour.
- You need 100-150 gr of (cut) orange carrot.
- Prepare 100-150 gr of (cut) celery root.
- It’s 75-125 gr of (cut) parsley root.
- You need 150-300 gr of (cut) potatoes.
- You need 3-6 pc of fresh flat parsley leaves.
- It’s 3-6 pc of fresh celery leaves.
- You need 25-40 gr of pork or goose lard (or butter, but less tasty).
- It’s of fresh ground black pepper and sea salt.
- It’s 1-1.5 ltr of water.
- You need of —————–.
- You need of For the dumplings :.
- You need 75-100 gr of all purpose flower.
- It’s 1 pc of small egg.
- It’s 30-50 ml of water.
- It’s 0.5-1 tsp of salt.
This recipe for Hungarian goulash soup or gulyas leves (GOO-yahsh LEH-vesh) is hearty enough to be eaten as a main course with rye bread. This soup benefits from a long, slow cook and is actually a. Hungarian Goulash Soup (Gulyasleves): There are many versions of goulash soup, not just in Hungary itself where goulash is originally from, but also in neighboring countries. The time has arrived for me to post my very traditional beef goulash recipe.
Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup) instructions
- Peel the onions, fritter them and put aside, peel the skin off half of the red bell pepper while it's whole and then cut it in half, fritter the peeled part and put aside, keep the other half for later. Also cut the tomato in small pieces and put aside. Rinse and dry the meat and cut into 2-3 cm pieces and put aside.
- Heat up a dutch oven or other thick bottomed big cooking pot to medium hot with the lard or butter and put in the onions. Fry them for a minute or so then add the paprika powders and the caraway powder while stirring and then about 50-75 ml of water.
- Let this fry for about 10-15 minutes, stir regularly and if needed add more water, it should remain moist enough not to burn!! then add the meat while stirring and bake it nicely all around untill there is no more red visible, takes a few more minutes.
- Add the paprika fritter, the cut tomato and stir well, then add bay leaf, squashed garlic cloves and a good amount of pepper and salt with another 50-100 ml of water (or untill everything is almost under water), lower the heat and leave to simmer for 90-120min (untill tender) with a closed lid, stirring every half hour or so.
- Then cut the celery root, the carrot, the parsley root, potatoes and the half bell pepper into 1-2cm blocks or rings and add them to the broth. Also rinse and chop the parsley and celery leaves and add to broth. Then add 1-1.5 ltr of water and 1 tsp salt. Leave this to simmer for another 40-50 min and bring to taste with some more salt (you'll need some) and ground pepper if needed.
- Meanwile in a bowl, beat the egg well with water and salt with a big fork then slowly start adding bits of flower while beating untill you get a consistend soft, sticky dough. Then leave it for about 10 minutes. When the soup is ready stir it some more before use.
- Then quickly add small 1/5 tsp bits of dough with the edge of a teaspoon and hold it in the soup untill it releases, be quick so they can all cook about the same time. Note that you'll probably only need half of the dough to have enough dumplings for this recipe, use the rest elsewhere or just make more soup. Leave the dumplings for about 6-10 minutes or untill they all float. Try not to overcook so they remain nice and soft.
- After that say : jó étvágyat ; and enjoy your gulyásleves!.
Hungarian Goulash Soup, or Guylas Leves, has been part of the hungarian culture for centuries. Traditionally, it was a soup made my the herdsmen (cowboys) as they were driving their cattle. Soup Body Saute/fry the onion in fat till golden brown. Add in the beef and stir till well browned. Add in salt, paprika, and tomatoes, and let simmer (adding a little water to… At this point we can add our vegetables: carrots, parsley root chopped up into rounds, the celery root and the potatoes in small cubes, then the finely cut parsley and celery leaves, and we fill the pan up.